Friday, February 18

Your Children: A Great Blessing or a Great Burden?

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.  ~Psalm 127:3


"Mama, where is my striped cat?"
"Mo-om, I need help!"
"Mama, Sam took his pants off and he stinks!"

I groan and push myself away from the computer.  I want to write my e-mail.  I want to finish the last chapter in my book.  For goodness sake, I just want to load the dish washer without fourteen interruptions.  Dear Lord, if only I could have the luxury of going to the bathroom without knocks at the door!  Really, God, is that too much to ask?

Some days, I admit, being a mommy seems to be a bit of a burden.  For awhile, it seemed that most days were that way.  Sure, I knew I was doing God’s will.  But most days, I felt testy, snapped at my husband for not reading my mind and knowing I needed his help, and just didn’t feel the joy of motherhood that I read about in so many of my favorite books.  One day, something tragic happened to someone else that changed my outlook. Honestly, sometimes I do still have those moments, but my outlook of mommyhood is much different.  

A few years ago, the 5 year old daughter of Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman died very tragically and suddenly.  That really touched me as I imagined that happening to one of my own children.  Since then, when parenting begins to feel like a burden and not like the blessing God tells us it is, I remember that.  Steven Curtis Chapman wrote this song about his daughters:
   
She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you
There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She will be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.

I want to live that song.  Even “when there’s still work to do,” I will dance with my Cinderellas while they are still here 'cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight and they'll be gone…  I pray that won’t happen until they each marry a wonderful prince charming someday, but I recognize that any single day I wake up to could be my last day with any of my children.  My honest outlook on mommyhood really is that my children are a great blessing.  Now be honest with yourself.  Is your overall outlook on motherhood that of a great blessing or a great burden? 

The book of Psalms says “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward” (127:3).  The word translated “reward” in that scripture comes from the root word “sakar” which conveys the idea of a temporary benefit.  Our children really are only a temporary reward from God.  Don’t forget to live your life in that light.  As for me, “I don’t want to miss even one song.” 

Lord, I want to be a blessed mother.  Help me to see my children as a reward and not as a burden.  Please take my burdens from me and give rest to my soul.  I pray you will give me many years with my children and I pray for your grace to cover all of my mistakes and imperfections.  Thank you so much for the wonderful blessings of my children and their daddy!  In Jesus matchless name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Have I read this before? I think you sent this to me before. It was a really good read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did send it to you before. I changed it a little bit and decided to post it here. : )

    ReplyDelete